After a simultaneous Thunderbird upgrade and profile migration from Windows to Linux the mail program permanently forgets passwords.
- Thunderbird 52 on Windows
- Back up profile
- Restore profile to Thunderbird 60 on Linux
- Observe that all passwords to all accounts are lost even if entered again
This seems to be some incompatibility. Things that worked:
1. start thunderbird in safe mode:
That is a workaround, as it disables plugins
2. User trefoil on a forum reports that deleting the file “pkcs11.txt” in the Thunderbird profile fixes the issue. It does.